Results 1 to 10 of 29

Thread: Altec A700

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member taskvig's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 28th, 2009
    Posts
    27
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Altec A700

    hi there!

    I'm new to this forum, looking for some help to decide what to do/buy

    Does anyone have any experince with this system?

    It seems very much the same as A7/MR994, but the cabinet is slightly different-

    I'm considering buying a A700 system with A700XLF woofers, biamped with 9442/9444/9446 and 1632 xo but have no experince with this system and will unfortunately not be able to listen to it before I buy it so I need help

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member gearfreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2008
    Location
    SEPA
    Posts
    633
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec A700

    No experience, and perhaps past the 1999 cuttoff date spec'd for the forum?
    Here's the spec sheet from LH in case of usefulness:
    http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...700/page01.jpg
    http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...700/page02.jpg

  3. #3
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,865
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Re: Altec A700

    Jerry Hubbard did that design.

    They sound incredible!
    Todd W. White, Owner & Webmaster
    Altec Lansing's (unofficial) Homepage

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member valhallax's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 5th, 2006
    Posts
    542
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Altec A700

    hey, thats a new one to me..trapezoidal mid bass horn? anyone got any idea how it would compare to the standard 828 cab? looks like it would have a better waf. pretty cool lookin' design if ya ask me. the rack amps as well.. sounds like a great set up. wheres the plans?
    "those sounds to which no definite pitch can be assigned are usually classified as noise"<br />harvey fletcher-1928

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec A700

    Quote Originally Posted by gearfreak View Post
    .....perhaps past the 1999 cuttoff date spec'd for the forum?
    They're a newer design, but they aren't THAT new. They're still Altec, not Altec Lansing Technologies (Sparkomatic).
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  6. #6
    Inactive Member taskvig's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 28th, 2009
    Posts
    27
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec A700

    The A700 system was released in 1989, the ones I'm looking at was bought new in 1993 and have been to a theather until last year.

    The components seems to be the same as A7/MR994 so I would guess the sound should be quite simmilar? (since I'm new with the forum, I'm not alloved to post links to the A7/MR994)

    In fact it is 3xA700 so I'm planning to use them also in my hometheather system, there are also a pair of PS-95 and PS-90 that I might be useing as surround speakers if I decide to buy.

    Are the Altec amps ans good? I've read both good and not so good reviews. The setup have been 9442A on the L/R MR994/909, 9444B on L/R 515, 9444B for the centre, 9446A for the 4x3154 in the A700XLF and also a 9444B for the PS90/95s, so it's quite a huge setup!

    At papers it seems like the 3154 might not have the LF I'm looking for since the 700XLF is roled of at 43hz. Are they capable of runing lower to i.e. 25 hz if i retune the cabinet or do I need other woofers? I have a 3182/8182 and love the LF it is capable of and would love the 700XLF to the same...

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member oface1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 5th, 2008
    Posts
    563
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec A700

    Taskvig,

    That will be one impressive HT.

    I am curious, what is the size of your HT's room dims?

    I have always been curious about the A700's.



    -chris

  8. #8
    Inactive Member taskvig's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 28th, 2009
    Posts
    27
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec A700

    It's not quite decided how big my room will be since I'm about to rearrange a few things in the house, so I guess it depends on my wife But probably it will be aprox 5x6 meters with a height of 2,40. It would have been great if it could be bigger, but that's not possible if I'm going to kepp my wife

    Present I'm useing JBL 250ti powered by an Crown Studio Ref amp but are curious to try out Altec horns, and right now it seems like I'm going for a trip this weekend to buy the mentioned system It's not 100% certain but it seems like it...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.